2. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
NIYA collects personal information in various instances, including when:
- • data subjects contact NIYA or request information or services;
- • NIYA provides services to data subjects;
- • persons apply for employment at NIYA;
- • when persons use NIYA’s websites or engage with NIYA through social media.
NIYA may collect the information directly from a data subject or from third parties (such as regulators, government authorities and registries, or attorneys representing our clients’ counterparties).
The interaction with the firm on an NIYA website will result in the collection of information regarding the person’s activities on the website. Similarly, when anyone engages with the firm via any one of NIYA’s social media platforms. This information includes, but is not limited to, the person’s name, contact details and information regarding the matter with which they need assistance. In the course of engaging with clients on matters, NIYA will naturally be exposed to and collect personal information which includes the data subject’s name, contact details, financial information as well as information regarding the matters that the firm assists them with.
As part of its recruitment processes, NIYA collects information from graduates and employment applicants. This information includes educational information as well as employment history. By enquiring regarding employment opportunities at NIYA or applying for employment, applicants are deemed to
provide their consent to NIYA’s processing of their personal information for recruitment purposes, which may include screening as well as background and reference checks.
3. BASIS AND PURPOSE FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
NIYA may process personal information:
- • to provide services to clients.
- • to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
- • if a data subject has provided their consent; or
- • if the processing is allowed by law.
The purposes for which NIYA processes personal information include, but are not limited to:
- • marketing and promotion of NIYA’s services;
- • providing and improving services to clients;
- • improving users’ experience when using NIYA’s websites, and all other social media platforms;
- • communicating with persons for NIYA’s internal purposes;
- • enabling NIYA’s internal operations;
4. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
NIYA may release personal information or disclose it to third parties in certain circumstances. These include, but are not limited to:
- • if NIYA is required or authorised to do so by law or a court order;
- • in order for NIYA to enforce its rights;
- • in order for NIYA to provide services to its clients.
The third parties to whom we disclose personal information include, but are not limited to:
- • third party service providers to NIYA or its clients;
- • third parties who provide research services to NIYA or its clients;
- • government authorities and registries, organs of state, regulators, courts, tribunals and law enforcement agencies
5. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
NIYA retains personal information for as long as may be reasonably necessary in accordance with applicable law.
NIYA takes all reasonable steps to protect and avoid unauthorised access to personal information. It has implemented various policies, procedures and software to safeguard personal information and routinely reviews its operations in order to ensure that personal information is adequately protected.
7. DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS
The law might provide data subjects with rights to access, amend or delete personal information that is in the possession of NIYA. However, NIYA may, in certain instances, legally refuse or decline such requests. If applicable, a data subject may also have the right to object to NIYA’s processing of their personal information or to file a complaint with a regulator. If a data subject wishes to exercise their rights, they can contact NIYA at the details provided below. NIYA may charge data subjects a fee for accessing, amending or deleting their personal information. Data subjects are encouraged to contact NIYA in order to update their personal information as and when necessary.
8. CONTACT DETAILS
The Compliance Officer
T Nala Niya Consulting Pty Ltd 36 Newport Avenue
Telephone: 072 637 0736